Of the best cloud storage sites in the market is none other but Dropbox. It will be very difficult to choose the best cloud storage to solve your storage needs because there are lots of websites on the internet.
Why is Dropbox the best? It’s because Dropbox brings ease of access to its customers. With just a few clicks or taps, you can upload almost any kind of files and folders which you want to upload on Cloud.
While Dropbox is a great cloud storage option, people still desire for more storage sites that are free to use. They want cloud solutions sites which provide features like more storage and added security.
It’s why we have assembled 9 other alternatives to Dropbox that will surely give you the best experience.
Interested to learn about these alternatives? Without further adieu, let’s check some of these options out.
Dropbox Alternatives and Competitors
1. Google Drive
Seeking a cloud storage for personal use, Google Drive is the best option. Here’s an easy to setup Dropbox alternative that hardly takes long. It offers 15 GB of free cloud storage space.
Whereas, with Dropbox, you only get 2 GB, the rest you’ve to purchase. This 15 GB of cloud space will be shared with your email & photos.
It’s not only just a storage space, but you also get plenty of other options such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Calendar, Hangouts and a whole lot more. You will not see any of this extra features in Dropbox or other sites.
- It is great for collaborating.
- Great resource for organizing and planning events.
- You can upload multiple kinds of documents and formats.
- Privacy is great.
- You have to have a Gmail to use Google Drive.
- Others cannot view documents without having a Google account.
- It can be hard to find things at first.
- If you upload a Word document for collaboration, it will mess up the formatting.
2. SpiderOak One
Similar to Dropbox, the SpiderOak One is also a cloud storage that focuses on delivering the best security features to its respective users. It provides end-to-end encryption for every file you upload which ensures nobody can access them or go through them unless they don’t have the key.
As far as the sync time is concerned, it is not as good as DropBox or Google Drive but it is satisfactory. They provide good privacy and you get more control on settings. Ask a web design agency and they will tell you how great this cloud storage is. It has servers located in the USA.
- Versions Files meaning it makes multiple copies of the same files as it is updated
- Zero Knowledge meaning our storage is complete secure and private
- The Software Client sometimes fails and the only resolution is to uninstall/reinstall
- Support meanig there is no number to call, you do everything over email
This cloud storage website added more space compared to what others competitors are offering in their free packages, Mega can offer you up to 50 GB of space in its FREE version. Mega cloud storage supports end-to-end encryption.
Not only can you share files and folders on Mega but you can also effectively collaborate with others using an in-built chat feature. You can also install a browser extension for quickly using the files.
So if you want a feature-filled product, look no further than Mega which has a lot to offer.
- End-to-end encrypted with AES-128, TLS
- GDPR compliant for all users worldwide
- Supports 2FA
- Free and paid plans
- No data stored in United States
- Transparent source code
- Massive amounts of storage available
- File versioning
- Annual transparency reports
- Not open source
- Confusing free plan
- No live chat or phone support
- No published third-party audits or testing.
Not quite famous, yet it is a very remarkable cloud storage platform. It comes with flexible subscription plans. Since, pCloud is a Swiss company, their major focus is on giving the best security features. In fact, they will add more security features if you purchase their pCloud Crypto package.
It comes with an automatic sync feature which syncs just about everything that you want to store from your device to the cloud. It is used by companies like LinkedIn, Coca-Cola, Snapchat and Uber.
- Up to 20 GB of free storage.
- No speed limit caps.
- No file size limits.
- 50 GB of download link traffic every month.
- Streams media files.
- Can’t password protect shared files/folders.
Ever heard of a platform that offers $50,000 cash if you can breach their security system? Tresorit is a cloud environment that challenges to pay that much amount to whoever is able to breach their security features.
Tresorit provides end-to-end file encryption when you upload and download it from their cloud. It has a cryptographic key sharing capability which allows you to share a password with others so they can access it on your cloud once you’ve uploaded the file on Tresorit.
- Secure storage.
- Their support team is phenomenal
- Not all files get synced and stable.
- Share Folders with guests.
Related Post: Gmail Alternatives: Top 10 Sites Like Gmail
No doubt, Microsoft’s One Drive gave a close competition to the two largest storage sites, Dropbox and Google Drive. It offers almost a similar functionality as both the cloud storage servers.
Just like Google Drive, the free version of the OneDrive offers 15 GB storage space. You will get access to the complete Microsoft Office Suite along with the cloud storage. And guess what, you don’t have to pay anything extra to use these Microsoft features of using Word, Powerpoint or Excel.
- Easy to use
- Assimilate with Office 365 seamlessly
- Quick Download & Upload
- The ability to access information everywhere with WiFi and/or Data connections.
- Moving a file from one folder to another is very clunky.
- Files may become corrupted and cannot be opened.
- Tech support is slow.
- Not available for Macs
If you want to grasp both the flavors in one product, usability and security, then look no further than Sync.com. When we talk about Tresorit, it is very secure but when it comes to user accessibility, it is not quite friendly.
Sync.com on the other hand offers both through a single platform. It is compatible with all major OS including Windows, Android, iOS and macOS. Just like Dropbox, it provides encrypted protection for files and folders which ensures that nobody else can see it.
- Sync really does respect your privacy
- Global data privacy compliance
- It’s an integrated local drive with multiple points of access
- The Vault option lets you store data outside your sync folder
- Easy file restoration
- Great options for corporations
- Easy file and folder sharing
- Exponential free data
- Yearly contracts only
- No third-party app access
- Limited support
- Syncing can be slow
- No Linux support
If you have a need for lots and lots of storage space and you are also interested to pay for it, then look no further than JottaCloud. Here’s a Norwegian cloud based company which offers unlimited storage on paid subscription.
Just like the above mentioned sites, It comes with extra functions for syncing and backing up data on the cloud. The company focuses on privacy features.
If you are not much of a fan of tier pricing, then JottaCloud is the best investment. It will take all your cloud-storage hassles away once and for all.
- Easy to use
- Mix of cloud backup & storage
- Large storage capacity options
- Two-factor verification
- No block-level sync
- Very limited sharing options
- No client-side encryption
- Strict policy that they use to enforce subscriptions or close accounts
This cloud storage app is very similar to Dropbox only the difference between the two is that Box is designed for business users. Box supports all major platforms and offers plenty of business features for people.
Just like every other cloud storage sites for instance, it runs on all major operating systems. Any folder which you place into it will automatically syncs with the cloud. It has unique and interesting collaboration tools and an inbuilt Microsoft Office suite to edit your documents online.
- Easy to sync all files between the cloud and internet connected devices that Box can support.
- No cumbersome setups to use Box.
- Uploading files is very easy with drag and drop, also when managing files within this platform.
- It is very simple how you can safely manage your files, allowing you to select who can see each file that has been uploaded.
- Usage without an account.
- Sometimes it takes awhile to preview a file, no matter what type of internet connection you have.
- App could be a bit more robust.
- Increased number of clicks before download.
There you go with the 10 best cloud storage Dropbox competitors. Do you like something that captivates your attention? Feel free to use any of the above sites and let us know what you think about it in the comments.