Do you remember the whiteboard and sticky notes created before building software or application? Yes, the numerous assumptions are made, which makes the project complex and difficult-to-manage. Besides, the time spent in validating the business need and delivering the actual application eats up years, which is disastrous for the businesses as the market dynamics and customer’s needs get changed in the meantime, and the application becomes useless when it makes its way to the market.
You get it right. We are talking about app development with traditional waterfall methodology that poses a high risk of failure, offers resistance to change, and results in delayed deliveries. To meet the crucial needs of project management, the transformational change in app development methodology is brought to enable the businesses to achieve the goals with the right mobile app development and delivery at the right time.
Agile methodology is the notable solution that addresses the seamless project management needs of the companies alongside avoiding the time, budget, and scope creep issues.
What is an agile methodology?
Agile is a concept that allows the companies to manage the projects most flexibly and responsively. It’s a time-boxed and iterative approach to manage the projects and develop the application incrementally in different sprints or phases. The client’s feedback is taken into account after every sprint shipping which ensures the app remains relevant to the client’s needs.
The agile manifesto that stands on four strong pillars of individuals’ interaction over processes and tools, comprehensive documentation, customer collaboration, and open to change over a plan, is created in 2001 by a of software engineers to get the products to the market rapidly without impacting the development cost and timeline. Later, it became a de-facto standard in development companies to step in with the stakeholders, market, and competition.
Not convinced? Here’s why Software Development Companies are moving into agile orbits:
- The efficient time and project management allow the businesses to focus on important things and prioritize the things accordingly which reduces time-to-market the app with predictable deliveries.
- The stakeholder’s involvement at every step of the development ensures that ongoing app development stands up-to-the-par of the expectations and meets the market needs, which alleviate the risks of failure.
- The agile environments are based on transparency and trust which keep every team member on the same page, bring a sense of commitment in every individual, improve the team morale, and keep them self-motivated to deliver the best value. It altogether brings contentment in the software development team and lets them work as a whole.
- The continuous testing and making changes at the sprint level ensure the final product delivery is bug-free and perform as expected.
- The uncertainty and irreversibility aspects of the development are successfully addressed by the great collaboration among team members that further enables faster delivery.
The lack of agile management and an agile mindset prevents the companies to manage the project efficiently, focus on administrative tasks, retain the clients, and respond to the dynamic needs. It’s a sign- the businesses can’t afford to overlook to deeply ingrain the agility across people, processes, and projects. The businesses have to abide by the agile principles to tap the full potential of agile project management. Let’s explore!
The principles that help companies to successfully enable agile software development:
The user stays at the heart of every application so it’s necessary to identify how efficiently the app solves the user’s problem or meets the needs. Through continuous sprints delivery, the client’s requirements can be gathered and the feedback can be incorporated into the app in a shorter time which helps in gaining client’s satisfaction.
No matter at what development stage, the client is demanding the changes in the app. It can be implemented at any time without needing to rebuild or redesign the system.
The documentation is created to define the project scope and timeline, but it doesn’t mean to overwhelm the clients. The document is updated, but more focus is put on development rather than planning.
Communication tools like project management systems bridge the gap between remote workers and management staff so that geography differences don’t hamper productivity.
- The agility is in the air where the team is self-motivated and self-directed to get the job done collaboratively.
- The communication tools come handy, but face-to-face interaction for the team working under the same roof can’t be ignored. It also shortens the distance between questions and answers that come in the discussion.
- The team’s progress is not quantified based on how many lines of codes are written, bugs identified or fixed. Instead, the quality work is the indicator of the progress.
- The excessive overtime doesn’t guarantee that quality work will be delivered on time. Creating short development cycles is a good practice that can make the team tired but not unsatisfied.
- The agility is about making the code cleaner and design better with each iteration in place of doing it all together at the later stage.
- Keeping tabs on the work done on the project is all-important to ensure the team is spending the time on development rather than project comprehension.
- The agile teams are self-organized teams where micromanagement is not required.
- The agile teams take their directions, but it’s essential to inspect the team’s behavior at regular intervals and make the team adjust to keep the project on the better track.
When the Hire development team begins with the agile basic process, that’s project planning, roadmap creation, release planning, sprint planning, daily meetings, and sprint review and retrospection, the chances exist that the project will slip up due to fast-paced changing requirements and agile principles ignorance. This is where staying glued to the principles allows companies to steer the team and project in the right direction, which creates a win-win situation for everyone.
What’s the best option? Follow the agile principles to build the right apps that ensure grandeur success.
Nasrullah Patel Co-founder Peerbits, one of the leading Top Web application development companies in the USA, in 2011 which provides Blockchain app development services. His visionary leadership and flamboyant management style have yield fruitful results for the company. He believes in sharing his strong knowledge base with a learned concentration on entrepreneurship and business.